It is that time of year again – people are starting to make decisions about whether they are staying or leaving their international school contracts. It can be really tough to make a decision, especially when you don’t have a job already lined up. So, if you are in the cycle this year, here are some things you may want to consider:
Your Current Job:
- On a scale of 1 to 10 – how much do you enjoy work when you are there?
- How well do you get along with your collegues and direct line management?
- How much autonomy and control do you have?
- Is your workload manageable?
- Do you like your students overall?
- Do you feel like you are being challenged enough?
- Do you feel valued at work?
- Do you like going into work most days?
- Are the pay and conditions good?
- Do you have enough resources to do your job effectively?
- How is your working environment?
Your Career (If this is important to you)
- Are there opportunities to progress in your current school?
- Are there opportunities for you to have more control over your work in your current role?
- Are there opportunities for a pay rise in your current position?
- Would you like to work for a higher tier, or a better known school?
- If you are currently with a partner and/or children – are they happy where you are?
- If applicable, is there better opportunities for work for your partner elsewhere?
- If applicable, where are your children in their education? Will you get stuck if you stay?
- If you don’t currently have a partner and/or children, do you see a future for this where you are?
- Are there issues with family members back home that mean you would like to be closer?
- Are there any physical or mental health needs that would be better treated elsewhere?
Your Work/Life Balance
- Do you feel you have a life outside of your work?
- Are there opportunities for fun or hobbies where you live?
- Do you “gel” with your current country, or would you be more suited elsewhere?
- What do you like and dislike about your current country?
- Do you have the energy to have a life outside of work, or is this job burning you out?
- Do you only stay because of the money?
Making a decision this early in the school year can be really hard, and if you would like some impartial support to make your decision, I am offering a limited number of 3 solution-focused coaching sessions for the reduced price of ฿7000. Book yours below: